Bread Baking Corner
Simple White Loaf Recipe
New to bread baking? Start with this simple recipe.
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 25 – 30 mins
500g strong white flour (plus extra for dusting)
2 tsp salt
7g sachet fast-action yeast
3 tbsp olive oil
1. Mix 500g strong white flour, 2 tsp salt and a 7g sachet of fast-action yeast in a large bowl.
2. Make a well in the centre, then add 3 tbsp olive oil and 300ml water, and mix well. If the dough seems a little stiff, add another 1-2 tbsp water and mix well.
3. Tip onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for around 10 mins.
4. Once the dough is satin-smooth, place it in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film. Leave to rise for 1 hour until doubled in size or place in the fridge overnight.
5. Line a baking tray with baking parchment. Knock back the dough (punch the air out and pull the dough in on itself) then gently mould the dough into a ball.
6. Place it on the baking parchment to prove for a further hour until doubled in size.
7. Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7.
8. Dust the loaf with some extra flour and cut a cross about 6cm long into the top of the loaf with a sharp knife.
9. Bake for 25-30 mins until golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped underneath. Cool on a wire rack.